This is a kind of fourth volume about twin-boom aircraft designs 1939-45 after my books "Forked Ghosts", "Supplement Nr.1 to Forked Ghosts", "The end of Forked Ghosts".
Writing "The end of" I wanted to stop my endless search, but friends (thanks Max & Paul & Hesham, mainly) have kept on enriching my collection, and I thought I must keep it updated, as a proper way to thank. I posted updates on the What-if Modeller site, but this one requires membership. So I begin presenting them here for direct access.
As invention is an infinite process, I will not include here the what-if dreams of nowadays using shapes of 1939-45, just the "serious" and "limit" parts of the subject, including dreams made in those years but not anachronic fantasy.
The chapters will be as in "The end of Forked Ghosts":
- The "combattimento Santangelo" has been designed also as "bombardiere Santangelo", but both were dated 1938, too early for our scope. Anyway, with the same shape, the version Piaggio P.125 is dated 1940.
- The Heinkel P.1075 may have been called He 635 as zwilling of Do 335, like the Do 635 and Ju 635.
Mitsubishi J4M1? and J4M4?
read "Japanese Secret Projects"
(2012, July 26th)
I am not an historian, just someone enjoying weird twin-boom aircraft, no matter where they come from. There were 3 faults in transforming that into a collection of 1939-45 true projects (of twin-boom aircraft): Date issue
When one includes unbuilt projects as well as built machines, the counting of twin-boomers is many thousands of families, impossible to cover all, that is why I focused on 1939-45 (a famous small window). ALAS, this was a trap, and then I was forced to question severely each new revealed project: “what is its design date?”. I hated that severity, that “seriousness” while I am a dreamer. Copyright issue
At the beginning of the “Forked Ghosts” project, I decided to draw myself each aircraft, but many readers disliked the absence of 3-view drawings (that I used to draw my slanting views). I thought that, for the update, there was no need to spend so much time drawing, I could present the sources, only thumbnails and with links. ALAS this was a trap, and I was forced to wonder severely: “is it legal to show it?”. I hated that severity, that “seriousness” while I was a dreamer. (There is always the risk of a trial for Copyright infringement. Most Historians don’t pay their sources but require to be paid if you are sharing their sources for free. This is so bad a legal context, I feel sick.) Authenticity issue
When I mixed what-if dreams and true projects (in my book “addition to Forked Ghosts”), I had been condemned by the press and I disliked that. In “the end of Forked Ghosts”, I made separate chapters, and for the Internet update later, I made separate sites. ALAS this was a trap, and then I was forced to question severely each new revealed project: “true or fake?”. I hated that severity, that “seriousness” while I am a dreamer. (I am the author of the book “Escaping Realist dictatorship” and, in my country, my skeptical philosophy is illegal, as it is forbidden to say with the Buddha “all is illusion”, or with Descartes “all might be my dream” – invalidating his mistakes after that step – and the Holocaust is a dogma, whose doubting is punished by one year jail and more than $50,000 penalty; while… doubting of the Amerindian (and Canaan) genocide is legal, this is a racist law, for Israel; I don’t want to be part of this, I give up. I am not anti-Semitic, I am Jewish as Abraham is one of my forefathers, according to my grand-grand-father, who raped the maid. I am less racist than the Bible, the French national anthem, the rabbinical religion. Should I require political asylum in Iran? Alas I am also skeptical towards the Koran…).
Being abnormal, with psychiatric pills everyday, I feel all alone. I stop the part that was pleasant for friends enjoying History, I turn towards the what-if dreamy world. Farewell. (I wrote that explanation for an Arabic friend of mine).
(2012/12/24th to 2022/12/22nd) Friends sent me new updates, that I turned into what-if jokes :
- Arsenal vb-20
- F7F competitors
NAF type B
Mc Donnell Models 6 and 8
Brewster Proposal 33D
- North American RD-1120
- Szybowiec transportowy nr 1, Lassota-Wasilewski "Ikar 1", DLCMK "Perkoz"
- Nakajima Kikka Design 1, & Nakajima J9N2 first proposal
- Blohm & Voss Patent DE719428
- Morane-Saulnier 050 AP2, 3, 6
- Blohm & Voss P.157
- Demaizière-Joffrin preliminary designs
- Dornier P.231 Entwurf 2
book "Dornier Do 335,435,635"
- Davis Davis
- Nakajima pusher fighter
- Miles Patent GB569998
- Bruel Patent GB601909
- Robertson Hogg Patent CA385292
- Consolidated Model 35 twin-boom layout
- Nikitin-Shevchenko IS-16
- Martin Twin-Hull 1942
- Henschel Patent DE699351
- Yakovlev Yak-15 twin-boom JUMO-004 project
book Ryeaktivniye Perventzi SSSR
- Langley Lifting Body Cargo Airplane project
book US Transport Projects #05
- Martin Pursuit-Type Airplane
book US Fighter Projects #01
- Stout Cargo 1941
- Pennsylvania Central Airlines Cargoliner 1944 and 1945
- Hüffer 1941
- Bertill twin-boom model 1943
(from Air Trails December 1943)
- American Television Institute Flying Torpedo Model 900
- Robotti 1940 (push-pull & pusher)
- Nationale Luchtvaart School (NLS, Amsterdam) Lesvliegtuig (Trainer) 1941
- Gaviraghi 1943 (twin-engine monoplane & four-engine biplane)
- Martin Model 151-J
e-booklet "US Bomber Projects #19" (at http://www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com/blog/?p=2970 )
- Ehling Super Wing
- Shereshaw RC-1
- Kurbala K-G
book "Desantnye Planery Stalina 1930-1955" at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Desantnye-planery-Stalina-1930-1955-neba/dp/5699656227
- Tulasne patent FR908553
- Quang_patent FR909544
- Dupuis patent FR915431
- Weser patent FR876368
- Rateau patent FR864397
- SNCASE Sud Est Patent FR917597
- Renault (Maurice) patent FR917509
- Martin Model 151-K
e-booklet "US Bomber Projects #21" (at http://www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com/blog/?p=3368 )
- Kogiken Plan II, IV, V
- Ava (Aerodynamische Versuchsanstalt/Mende) Air-Train
Messerschmitt Torpedoflugzeug (like Me-410)
magazine "Luftwaffe Secret Projects of the Third Reich"
- Zharnylsky planyer ("Jarnilski" in French letters)
- BMW-324 = TL.III and Tank Ta-226 = Focke-Wulf Flitzer P.VII (and maybe P.IV, P.VIII)
according to the what-if modeller TomZ
- Sukhoy RK 2M-62
book "Unflown Wings"
- Robertson Aircraft Dream Plane
- Heinkel He-535
magazine "Flieger Revue X" 92
- USAAC Materiel Division Design No.361 Bomber Study 1941 (not Martin 145B)
- Amiot 346
- Fw-250 = Focke-Wulf Flitzer
according to the deviant artist Yqueleden
- Moskalyev SAM-16 twin-boom version with inline engines
posted 2017/04/01 April 1st but this seems serious
- Vought-Sikorsky VS-306